"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Thursday, May 13, 2010

>SAFE BETS>>

So I've come to learn, over these past few weeks, that sometimes your safest bet when ordering a cocktail at an establishment of "undetermined character," is to just order straight liquor. There's so many cocktail menus offering colorful, over-sweetened, sticky drinks; but they're usually not much more than just that.

Last Thursday, with a few minutes to spare before David's TRANSIT show, I made a pit stop at the Las Chicas Bar inside Sheraton's Four Points Hotel. (It was the only bar on the entire block!)

As I propped myself up, I just knew that this was one of those places where it wouldn't be wise to even take a gander at the cocktail menu.

Campari, up.

I had to explain to the bartender what "up" meant and she served my cocktail in a rocks glass, but I didn't mind; as always, whenever I order Campari, up, it tastes consistently perfect... (although once, at Cafeteria, my drink smelled mysteriously like leather)

Another welcome swallow to pass my lips this week was Agua de Piedra, Gran Reserva, Malbec, 2009, which I had at my sister's house on Mother's Day. At first taste: a healthy dose of acid with some tannins present too. It remained enjoyable throughout the afternoon even when paired with various cuisine flavors. (we had, both, pork chops and quiche and there were no run-ins with the Malbec)

I was additionally pleased over this Malbec because ever since my first Malbec tasting in a very early wine class, I had still yet to come across a close comparison (it was a Salentein, Numina--actually a Malbec/Merlot blend, I believe)--but this Malbec came pretty close...


and at $13, a very agreeable price; a nice red for casual dining, I'd say. > >

No comments: