"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

>OLD-FASHIONED BLUE RIBBON>>

Saturday was a long day for both Karen (one of our hostesses) and I and we decided to finish it off by rewarding ourselves with dinner at Blue Ribbon. I actually would have been fine with a glass of cava (or two) at the bar, but Karen was feeling pretty hungry so we opted upon a table instead. The maître d' sat us right away, but upon review of our menus, we were a bit flummoxed about what to order. We'd start with a drink.

Our server was Will and I told Will that I wanted something totally different (and that I've been drinking a lot of Campari lately). He recommended a Negroni, but I told him that I don't like Negronis--too bitter. He was trying to gauge what kind of drink I'd fancy and then said: "Old-fashioned?"

"Yes--I like old-fashioned drinks.

Oh--you mean an Old-Fashioned! Yes, I'll take one of those."

I tried to come up with a new concoction for Karen as well and suggested a Champagne Cocktail, but she instead just went with a classic Dirty...

Back to our ordering dilemma, we both agreed upon Salt and Pepper Shrimp and Karen decided she'd give their Steamed Artichoke a try. As usual, we fully enjoyed the shrimp and later, when our runner brought out our second dish, I became very interested upon seeing a whole artichoke before me.

So I know there's a certain way you're supposed to eat this, but I don't know how, do you?

I think you're supposed to peel back the leaves one at a time.

Let's ask Will.

Will instructed Karen and I on the proper artichoke-eating etiquette and I must say that I fully enjoyed it. It took a long time to finish which left us with plenty of time to converse and catch up; it'd be a good at-the-bar snack, I'd say.

Next, we were still feeling a little peckish and (after ordering a Champagne Cocktail, for myself) decided we'd give the scallops special a try. I'm not an avid fan of scallops, but wanted to try something new and Karen had never had scallops before.

It was a very pretty and colorful dish and the scallops topped a cauliflower purée which I was quite fond of. Another cocktail and few more exchanges later, Karen and I headed home, for tomorrow was Mother's Day and I had an early train to catch. > >

No comments: