"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Sunday, May 16, 2010

>SO, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME? IS PORK IN SEASON??>>

So far this year, I've had pork chops more than anytime ever in my entire life (four times to be exact) and I'm not exactly sure why. I've been asking people: Is pork in season? ; because everywhere I seem to go (including my sister's house on Mother's Day), there seems to be a pork chop special...

Not that I'm complaining though, I've become quite fond of the quiet alternative to brother beef!

Friday, after going to a couple of kitchen cabinetry showroom parties with my friend, Walter, I stopped at Venus Diner in Chelsea to refuel. (I refused to eat any of the food being passed around at either party--aside from a piece of pâté and a few niblets of cheese...)

I noticed on Venus' specials board, a Pork Chop Special. As I propped myself up at the bar, I gave my specifications to the server: green salad, spinach and french fries. The salad was nice and tasty--very green with a nice balsamic dressing.

And the pork chops came in a pair, both lean; and the spinach, too, was tasty as well as the fries (and they didn't come in an obscenely large portion, which is nice for a diner, I'd say).

I must say that I enjoyed Venus' pork chops better than the chops I'd had at both Blue Ribbon and at B Bar. --Not nearly as fancy, but I'd rather have better tasting food with flimsy presentation than something that looks spectacular while only tasting subpar. (usually) > >

Venus Diner, 252 8th Ave. @ 23rd St.

2 comments:

dmvolpe said...

A few months ago (maybe in February/beginning of March) Becky tried to buy pork chops at the farmer's market and the man from Flying Pig Farm said that they weren't ready yet because the pigs were still too small for slaughtering...SO..maybe enough time has passed since then and the pigs are big enough now.

Unknown said...

Ooh - perhaps!! (But they're still not big enough to keep me satisfied... ;)