"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Monday, February 1, 2010

>mmmm... for mondaaayy>>

It was a yummy weekend. My first stop was at the UWS location of Fatty Crab.

I met my good friend and eating buddy, Hiroko, there for a quick bite before we went to see NYC Ballet's production of Sleeping Beauty at Lincoln Center.
FC's wine list seemed to have some pretty decent selections. The server was knowledgeable (and friendly too--somewhat shocking considering she was a hipster, but we were on the UWS...) about their wines; she helped me decide between the Dry Riesling and the Pinot Gris. I told her I wanted a heavier wine and one that wasn't too dry. She said the Dry Riesling was very dry and overall, the Pinot Gris was a better quality; I went with her recommendation and was pleased.

On to the food, she told us everything at Fatty Crab was meant to be shared and we opted for 3 dishes: the Crispy Pork with watermelon salad, Fatty Duck (steamed and fried) with sweet and spicy sticky rice and for a snack, the Scallop Satay. Later, we were still a little hungry so we placed an order for Banh Mi (a Vietnamese sandwich) which had some tasty fried oysters in it.

Living up to their name, everything tasted fatty, but in a good way; nothing felt heavy or overly greasy. All the foods we ordered seemed rather light and delicate, yet quite flavorful too.

In the past, I haven't been a fan of Malaysian food; it always seemed a bit bland-tasting. But Fatty Crab's foods were anything but bland. Overall, I think it was a pretty unique taste experience. Nothing fussy or overdone, just simple and good food.

Also, our server gave us some complimentary cakes and comped one of our drinks! I think she just liked the fact that I had good faith in her suggestions...

Later that night... I "somehow" (that's usually how it is) ended up at Blue Ribbon. My friend Vil was having her birthday party downtown near Tribeca and Cynthia met up with me there. After a couple of vodka tonics between the both of us, we headed North for BR.

We both decided it was going to be the night we stick our necks out and have their Sweetbreads.

Now just so you all know just how courageous Cynthia and I were that night, according to Wikipedia, Sweetbreads are: the thymus (throat sweetbread) and the pancreas (heart or stomach sweetbread), especially of the calf and lamb (although beef and pork sweetbreads are also eaten).
The "heart" sweetbreads are more spherical in shape, and surrounded symmetrically by the "throat" sweetbreads, which are more cylindrical in shape.

According to the shape of our sweetbreads, I think we were eating "heart" sweetbreads.

What did I think of it? It was a little chalky. Nevertheless, we cleared our plate (we ordered one to share), but I don't think we'll be ordering Sweetbreads again anytime soon. (But who knows, that's what I said about their Beef Marrow and now it's now one of my favorite dishes there.) We also shared a dozen Malpeques (mmmm..) and our server threw in a complimentary lobster claw as well. 1 Cava and 1 Ketel & Tonic later, we got our check and both headed North again for home. --A low key BR night, I'd say. Although, one hour and thirty seven minutes later, I woke up at 225th street in the Bronx with the train conductor shouting over the loud speaker: "Either you're in, or you're out!" -- I was out.

2 comments:

kimchee said...

this one i have to say yuck to :)

Unknown said...

Haha! But what about Fatty Crab? I bet you would like it!!