"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Saturday, December 26, 2009

>favorite eateries>>


So due to the prompting of a co-worker at the establishment at which I work. I am going to post some of my favorite eateries (in SoHo). Really, there's only (about) two.

First and foremost, when it comes to burgers (which I am truly mad about) Lure Fishbar (below Prada - Mercer & Prince) is hands down, top dog. But, you have to be sure to get the Lure Burger, as opposed to their regular burger (offered for $2 less than the Lure Burger's $17 price tag).

I don't know what it is about this burger, whether it's that they use really, really, fresh ingredients, but it somehow has an amazing quality to bring me back to life!

There've been more than a few times when I've walked down the stairs, into Lure, and propped myself up at the bar, feeling tired and brain-dead (read: like a zombie), and after polishing off my Lure Burger (which comes deluxe, with fries) have felt amazingly alive, refreshed and alert! (read: like a human being again)

This is the only burger in NYC that does this for me; and I am a burger aficionado so believe me, I've tried many. (Although, I've yet to try the burger at Standard Bar & Grill, another favorite eatery of mine, perhaps the most.)

But anyway, the burger I'm describing is not as complex as you may be beginning to think it is. Basically, it's served on a very lovely brioche bun and they top the burger with shredded lettuce, some thin pickle slices, cheese (it comes automatically), a secret sauce (which I think may just be a ketchup-mayo combo), and then the burger is sliced in half and pierced with two wooden spears which serve to hold in place two perfectly fried (and large) onion rings which rest on the burger--ever so gracefully... (Oh, and it comes with tomato slices too, but I always take them off, I hate tomatoes--except for heirlooms, in season.)

And for the french fries, (yet another culinary masterpiece offered by Lure's chef de cuisine) they are "thick-cut," like the size you'd find at diners. But at Lure you get nice long fries, no digging around the bottom of the bowl as you polish them off. And the fries are fried perfectly, not overcooked, not undercooked; and with just enough salt too.

And did I mention the dishes? Lure is a pretty classy place (even though the restaurant is designed to look as if you're eating inside of a yacht) so the dishes are classy too. The burger comes in a large white dinner bowl and the fries come separately in their own bowl set on a square plate which also serve a trio of ketchup and mayonnaise--but they always ask if you'd like mustard too, which I always opt for.



>add'l notes:>>
I'm also a fan of their Yellowtail, Jalapeño roll and they have a Falanghina by the glass which is quite nice. And if you like your cocktails on the sweet side, try Purple Rain. They make it with concord grapes which they press, in house. yum :)




My other favorite place to eat in SoHo is Blue Ribbon Brasserie (there's also a Blue Ribbon Sushi) on 97 Sullivan St, between Prince and Spring streets. Now the first thing I have to say about Blue Ribbon is that (some) of their prices are, as my partner d would say, ridonculous. What they put in their Paella Royale that affords its $125 price tag I do not know (especially since you can get a half portion for $32, but maybe you're not supposed to know that...).* But even though I can usually only afford to order a burger ($14.50) or duck club ($19.75) when I go there, nonetheless, I still love the place.

However, I have managed (somehow...) to try almost everything I want on their menu. Let's go through it line by line...


1. Escargot
Quite nice. I don't want to get the description wrong, but I will say that it's not served traditional style, in its shells with garlic and butter. They're already shelled and they're served in a small bowl with a slightly sweet, slightly thick brown sauce along with pieces of bread (and carrots, I believe) soaked in it. Whatever they put in there, it's delicious!
2. Fried Oysters
These I did not care for so much, but I'm not saying they were bad. They also are served shelled, and they bread the oysters in a nice, crumb-y breading--not batter; and they're nice and dry to the touch, not at all oily or greasy.
3. Beef Marrow & Oxtail Marmalade
This I've been told, is the best oxtail in the city. The dish comes with maybe three or four beef bones along with some crostini for the marrow. The second time I tried it, I had to muster up a little courage, marrow & oxtail is not exactly my thing. The first time I tried it, I was already a few cavas deep, so I dug in without missing a beat. Overall, I'd say it's pretty good, but I don't know if I'd ever order it myself.
4. Sauteed Calamari
Served simply sauteed, sans batter or breading.
5. Salt & Pepper Shrimp
This is one of my favorite appetizer dishes at Blue Ribbon! The shrimp is served in its own shell which you're meant to eat. And it is simply amazing. Very, very crispy and delicious! Oh, and it also comes with a nice, little shredded salad with a light asian sauce.
6. Oysters
I only order the Malpeques.
7. New Orleans Shrimp
To die for!
8. Shrimp Cocktail
I don't know what they do to their shrimp, but this is the best shrimp cocktail I've ever tasted. Much more worthy than its name.





1. Shrimp Provencal
Nice, elegant.
2. NY Strip Steak
I almost got to try this, but I left it, after my birthday dinner, on the subway along with a half of a duck club. Some bum had a really good dinner that night.
3. Chicken Burger
I opt for this one over the beef one.
4. Roasted Duck Club
I like this a lot. Although, I think they changed their recipe. Either that, or cava is affecting my memory. Anyway, it's served triple decker, on whole grain bread, with plenty of red onions, shredded lettuce and dijon mustard. (I think that's correct.) And it's served with sweet potato chips that I also like a lot.

So as you can see, that's not everything, but just some highlights. I first started going there because it's the only real restaurant in SoHo whose kitchen is open late (until 4am). But since then I've really grown to love the place. The place is small and the staff, in their skinny ties tucked in below the second button, is aloof--you have to earn their respect; and they play quirky music (they once played "Borderline") and have original artwork of seafood & such lining the walls. And they seem to be the only place that knows how to properly shuck an oyster.


Beef Marrow & Oxtail Marmalade

>add'l notes:>>
Try their Marolo Grappa for a nice finish to your meal. $18 a glass, but worth it.

*Correction: So a fellow Blue Ribbon patron informed me today that the Paella Royale feeds six, and the Paella Basquez, for $32, feeds two. (It's the $17 paella for one that's supposed to be a secret.)

4 comments:

Kim said...

yummo...when can i visit these eateries?

Unknown said...

Anytime! But you have to come visit me first :D

Cynthia said...

Superb. I had the escargot recently and it was delish! It had bits of bacon in it...nothing wrong with that! Next on my agenda is the duck club, then the salt and pepper shrimp. Let's go back soon!

Unknown said...

Your right, it does have bits of bacon in it! Yum!!