"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"Ninth" Square Donuts: New Haven, CT

Over the weekend I'd gone to visit a dear friend in New Haven to celebrate his 33rd birthday. Our evening began at Geronimo Tequila Bar & Southwest Grill where I had a triple-serving of a doubly-good spicy blood orange margarita with jalapeño-infused tequila. (their posole stew and chorizo salad wasn't bad either) The following morning, I had plans to take the 11:55 Metro-North back to Manhattan, but Luis and Larry were kind enough to give me a ride into the city. On our way, we stopped for a quick "brunch" at Orangeside Luncheonette in the Ninth Square historic district.

square turtle donut and caramel-covered coffee roll 
at Orangeside Luncheonette

Even though Luis and Larry were ordering savory dishes for themselves, I couldn't resist the decadently-dressed sweets displayed on the counter. When I had trouble deciding between the square "turtle" donut or the caramel-covered coffee roll, Luis suggested, Get both! While I admit, the caramel-covered treats looked more exciting than they'd tasted... no stop to the Ninth Square would be complete without a visit to Orangeside Luncheonette for a couple of "ninth" square donuts!

Orangeside Luncheonette, 135 Orange Street, New Haven

No comments: