"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Near-Champagne?


Last night I picked up a bottle of Stellina di Notte prosecco ($12) from Columbus Circle Wines & Spirits. I'd had this Italian sparkler at least once before and I recalled it coming close to tasting like an actual champagne. I thought it was due time to give it another try.

As I sat on the uptown A express, I pulled the bottle out from its bag and examined its labels. "Qualità del tipo aromatico..." Good. "... denominazione di origine controllata." Better. I felt more assured with my decision.  I arrived home and placed the unchilled bottle in the freezer for forty five minutes, along with two champagne flutes. By 9:05, it was chilled and ready for dinner.


David simply whipped up a salad of Italian parsley with poached tuna, cherry tomatoes and homemade tzatziki sauce. At first sip, I was a bit let down by the Stellina, but upon further examination realized it had very good dryness and acidity for a prosecco. My final verdict: yes; being mindful of its price, this prosecco does come close as a champagne comparison. But if you can afford the extra twenty-something dollars, why not splurge on a bottle of Perrier-Jouët?

Columbus Circle Wines & Spirits, 1802 Broadway, Manhattan

No comments: