"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Brunch with Dinah

For some reason, when I woke up this a. m., I was in the mood for a little Dinah. Watch this clip, below, of her cuttin' up with old-time hipsters:



Once I'd had my fill, I went to making preparations for brunch.

extra dry prosecco "superiore" from
Columbus Circle Wines & Sprits

Last night after work, I stopped (once again) at Columbus Cirlce Wines & Spirits and picked up the bottle of  Carpenè Malvolti extra dry prosecco which I had previously pondered there. ($16) I, again, compared it with a couple of cavas, and the deciding factor ended up being that it was a "D.O.C." bottle. After extracting the cork, I poured myself a sample for a "swril, smell and a taste." It had a very attractive "foam floater" (which quickly bubbles down).

lush...

My initial notes: a little yeast on the nose and decent acid on the palate. I'd originally planned on mimosas with the sparkler, but I thought it too "fine" and instead decided upon enjoying it unaltered...

feta, red onion and diced tomato omelette

For this weekend's brunch, I decided to make a "pot luck omelette" using ingredients from a leftover Greek salad I'd had in the refrigerator. (waste not, want not) Aesthetically, my afterthought was to not have added the tomatoes, but they ended up being a helpful ingredient in the omelette. Being that my brunch-for-one was as impromptu as it usually is, the dessert course consisted simply of Stella D'oro anisette toasts, "peanut crunch breakup" and cinnamon-spiced milk.

nothing fancy, but this'll do

But for now, I have to get ready to meet a dear old friend, in town on an impromptu visit. Drinks begin at seven at the Library Bar in the Hudson Hotel (one of my favorite cocktail lounges in the city).

No comments: