"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Friday, April 1, 2011

A Quality Riesling In SoHo

An elegant, understated riesling.
Last night I stopped at SoHo Wines & Spirits on my way home from work to pick up a "relatively sweet bottle of white" for David to use in his leek soup. Of course, I wanted to get something that we could enjoy "straight" as well...

THE first wines to pique my interest at SoHo Wines & Spirits were the German ones. I narrowed my preliminary search down to a spätlese riesling, but couldn't remember where spätlese fell into place on the German wines quality scale. I continued browsing. Coming to the California wines, I came across a bottle of Taft Street, Russian River Valley riesling, 2008. I'd remembered having a Russian River Valley (sparkling) white, while in Aspen last summer and enjoying it. After confirming with the wine seller that it was a "decent" wine, I selected the bottle and was on my way.

David was first to taste the wine and said that it was very elegant... understated--to which I agreed. It doesn't have the flavor attack that some rieslings can have and it carried just an "undertaste" of acid. (my wine professor might refer to those former wines at "clumsy"--this wine certainly wasn't clumsily sweet) And at $15.99, I think it makes quite a suitable host gift. I certainly wouldn't mind receiving one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a difference between "dumb" and "vision problems."

Also, how was your visit on Saturday? Nothing to write about?

Unknown said...

I think perhaps this comment has been miscategorized... If you're referring to the post about "Flip," I was not there on Saturday.