"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Trail Shift

I just returned home from working a trail shift at one of the many popular eateries that run along Central Park South. I'd recently begun exploring what opportunities were available to me outside the restaurant group I currently work for.

The restaurant I worked at today is within one of the many hotels facing the south end of Central Park. I spent the brunch shift working along with the front door team, mostly seating as it was rather busy... The restaurant is fairly new and has only recently begun offering OpenTable reservations; this being the case, most of their business is walk-ins. (and they only reserve for dinner) Although the restaurant isn't as formal as some along Central Park, all the steps of service are still there (along with a "celebrity chef").

The manager on duty had given me a packet of menu item descriptions to review and on my way out I picked up a couple of menus to study at home. I've already pre-selected some items that I'd like to try and additionally, there are some items/terms on the menu which I need to look up. A few are: pancetta, brisket, confit, fennel pollen, talegio, fet and vincottoSome of these items, I kind of know what they are/mean, but am not a hundred percent sure and others, I just flat-out don't know what they are...

I was sad to see that truffles are only used just barely on the menu, but was excited to see pizza on the menu! I've narrowed down some of my "most highlighted" items on the menu:

Wine:

  • Sauternes
  • Canadian Ice Wine
  • Argentinian Malbec
  • premier cru Meursault
  • Russian River Chardonnay
  • Dr. Loosen Riesling
  • an old vine Riesling
  • an Alsatian Gewurztraminer

Fare:

  • "fontina risotto croquettes" with truffle aioli
  • fig and prosciutto pizza with sweet and spicy fig jam and gorgonzola 
  • fried artichoke pizza with whipped ricotta, caramelized onions and fontina
  • charred octopus 


After today, I'll have one or two more trail shifts before any official offer will be made.

No comments: