"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Monday, October 4, 2010

Kenny Bakery, Inwood

Saturday morning, I woke up early to go to the Isham Street Farmers' Market, in Inwood, in search of concord grapes; to my disappointment, there were none to be found.

I did, however, stop at the wonderful Kenny Bakery (126A Dyckman Street) on the way home, and picked up a half dozen of their ultra-buttery croissants. (about $1 a piece)


Not only are their croissants the most delicious croissants I've ever tasted, they're also (like nearly everything at Kenny's) massive. These croissants are so buttery, they're practically yellow, and they're soft and chewy on the inside with a slight touch of crunch and flakiness on the outside. They're much denser than your typical croissant; I used to eat only a half, with coffee during breakfast, but lately I've been keen on eating them whole.

Also at Kenny's are exceptional 'sugar donuts' (ask for plain donuts). 75¢



These cakey, fried donuts are intense. Like the croissants, they're irregularly large (I often picture a small hamburger whenever I eat them); I think if I had my own counter joint I'd call them JUMNUTS (jumbo donuts), on the menu.

That's a dinner plate you're seeing.
Perfect plain, but recently David came up with his own
variation for a luxurious late-night snack.

Kenny Bakery, 126A Dyckman Street, Inwood
1 train to Dyckman, walk 1/2 block west; on your left, before Dunkin' Donuts

No comments: