With her roommate gone for the weekend, Cynthia decided to have a last minute dinner party. I, of course, had to be there.
I arrived early, at six, to help with the cooking while Cynthia and I sipped on Casal Garcia rosé, vinho verde.
First on the menu was prosciutto wrapped asparagus which Cynthia's friend, Albee, prepped while I worked on the tzatziki sauce. Later, while Albee (a former makeup artist at San Diego Opera) was applying Cynthia's "face," we all got a bit sidetracked and nearly forgot about the asparagus cooking in the oven. Luckily, they were still safe.
Just as I was finishing up the tzatziki sauce and about to start on the pizzas, another friend, Libby, arrived carrying a grape tomato and basil (both fresh from her garden) pizza and mint and almond paste canapés.
While Cynthia welcomed Libby with a glass of wine, I went to work chopping onions and bell peppers for the shrimp and chorizo pizza. Soon enough, both pizzas were in the oven and ready to go.
I don't exactly remember everything that was in the smoked salmon pizza (and on it), but I do recall portobello mushrooms, basil and goat cheese. (plus more basil and goat cheese, thrown on top, after cooking)
|The happy hostess and her creation|
Unfortunately, I had to skip out early, but I did stick around long enough to also try the shrimp and chorizo pizza--deliciously spicy!
I never did care all that much for cucumbers, but was nearly mad, Saturday, for Cynthia's tzatziki sauce--everyone kept saying how refreshing it was! It takes only minutes to prepare.
Ingredients:1 17.6 oz. 2% Fage greek strained yogurt1 small bunch fresh mint2 Persian cucumbers (for optimal flavor)Sea salt and garlic powder (to taste)
- First, wash and finely (but not too finely) chop the mint; leaves only
- Empty the Fage into a medium sized serving bowl; add half of the mint, to start, more if desired
- Stir, place in refrigerator
- Removing both ends of the cucumbers, slice each lengthwise, once
- Thinly slice the four halves
- Add cucumbers to mixture, season with sea salt and garlic powder to taste
- Cover with plastic wrap; store in refrigerator until ready to serve
- Serve with pita bread, crackers or grilled meats