"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

>It's All Good>>

So our seven year anniversary was on February 26th, but with David's busy pianist's schedule as of late, we had to postpone the celebration until Saturday, the 6th.

We started Saturday with "diner brunch" because both of us were feeling a little hungover and sometimes a greasy spoon is the only thing that will do the trick. The night before, David had gone to an art show in Long Island City and I had met up with Danny for Lure/Blue Ribbon/Barracuda.

Friday night, Danny and I started with cava at Lure then headed to Blue Ribbon for Beef Marrow (this time I sprinkled it with the sea salt they serve it with, on the side; I didn't think it could get any better, but it did) then, only because I was already buzzed, stopped at Barracuda where I had a single Chivas O.T.R. (on the rocks).

Interestingly, at Blue Ribbon, when Danny and I sat ourselves at a table o.k.'d by the maître d', the paper covering on the table had been drawn on. Our server offered to change it, but I insisted he leave it as is: "I love it!" A minute or two later, a tall black gentleman came over to our table and divulged himself to be the artist-under-wraps.

I asked him if he wanted his drawing back, but he insisted we leave the artwork as laid and to:

"Get it dirty. Really dirty it up!

And when you're done, ask the server to roll it up and bring it over to me."



A cool cat was he...


After David and I replenished ourselves with sausage, fries and a black and white shake from Parkview Diner, we headed home to ready ourselves for Paul Taylor Dance Company at City Center.

The company performed a wonderful show including Public Doman, Airs and Brief Encounters (making its New York premiere). With such beautiful lighting and costumes, Brief Encounters was my favorite...

Afterward, we headed west for Tout Va Bien, our favorite restaurant in midtown.

David and I have been going to "TVB" for a number of years now and it certainly has changed over the course of time (although David says, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."). What was always a quaint little French bistro for us, tucked away just off Eighth Avenue, has now seemed to become quite the hotspot of 51st Street. ("I feel like we're in a French Blue Ribbon!")

As we walked in, the place was bustling. To your right, the bar was full and straight ahead and to the left, only two open tables remained in sight. But happily, the hostess sat us quickly as I took in the perplexing sights and sounds.

1. I've always loved the way this place seemed to not care so much about the arrangement of their decor as if, "We don't care how we look, we know our food is good!" But on this particular evening, their decor seemed to be especially haphazard and slapdash. Hung over a painting, with Christmas lights draped above and beyond it, was a giant Mardi Gras mask (aren't we observing Lent now?). And hanging plentifully from the ceiling were multitudes of shiny green shamrocks and green t-shirts tacked carefully into place. And hanging across the back of the bar was a long string of (what David and I assumed to be) soccer flags, with one large one hanging on the opposite wall.

2. To my right was a long table of at least eight ladies, clearly celebrating something (even if it was just ladies' night out) and beyond the raucous bunch, to the right, was another raucous bunch, equally as rollicking if not more.


3. And as stated before, what was previously a quaint little bistro where you'd hear not much more than your own conversation and perhaps the head waitress saying, "Oui, oui, oui, oui, oui..." in the background had, on this evening, turned to playing loud French pop music with the occasional Lady Gaga tune thrown in and Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind" (for good measure perhaps??). At one point, the entire restaurant took part in a sing along which seemed to be a French anthem of some sort...


But with a breath, I assured myself that tonight was going to be just as enjoyable as any other dining night I've had before at Tout Va Bien.


After ordering a carafe of the house white, David proceeded to order the Vichyssoise for his first course and the Pâté Maison as his main. Since David was eating light and since I wasn't all that hungry after all, I decided to go with Endives (which came in a nice mustard dressing) for my first course and Escargots De Bourgogne for my main (although I did order the entrée portion). I was surprised they didn't have the Duck a l'Orange special though--I usually go with that one.


I also noticed on the menu, Tête De Veau Vinaigrette (Calf's Head) and Rognon Sauté Vin Blanc Ou Bordelaise (Veal Kidney) which I would have tried, but I figured I'd save it for another time when I was feeling a bit more adventurous and/or hungry...


The Endives were enjoyable as well as David's Vichyssoise. And my Escargots De Bourgogne were good too. (The dressing also works nicely for sopping!)


For dessert, David ordered the Mousse au Chocolate while I opted for Crème Caramel. (I preferred the mousse though.) At the end of it all, our server brought out two glasses of champagne for us to enjoy, on the house.

--Tout Va Bien! > >

No comments: