"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Thursday, March 25, 2010

>FOR NOW... THE WEEK IN PICTURES (& Brasserie 8 1/2)>>

As the caption under my new Facebook profile photo reads, "Even if my blog goes nowhere... there's always my knitwear company!"

This morning as I was wandering 'round my apartment wondering what I should do first today, I found, sitting on David's bookcase, a package from my best friend, Jess, in New Jersey. Along with some very thoughtful mementos she sent, was this 1919 ad for a "Bradley Jumbo."

I don't know when the print issue of Gazelland is expected to be out, but I did purchase the digital version from zinio.com and was able to print this image from my article... The current issue is even better than the last (now I understand why Gazelle was so strict about the color choices) and I'm hopeful that it will soon become an icon for the young, fresh face of new talent. (Will Louis Parsons -p. 54- become the next big fashion house??)

On a lighter (and fruitier) note is Marquis de Chasse, Bordeaux, Sauvingnon Blanc & Semillon. On the back label it says to: "Serve chilled as an aperitif or with seafood, salads, chicken, or light cuisine."

"Light cuisine" was just what David and I were having that night...

Actually, I'm not complaining though. David made a very nice "tapas" dinner with roughly-mashed potatoes, a mashed butternut squash and a very nice spicy cheese salad, all served with two different kinds of crackers. The wine paired nicely; it had a deep, rich color and a little bit of bouquet, which for a white (that isn't too heavy), is a nice touch, I'd say.

I'd never had this particular bottle before and I wasn't sure if it was going to be good, but since it was from an A.O.C. I figured I was making a safe bet. At $20, on sale for $16, not bad. (You'll definitely want to have it chilled though. David and I had to throw some ice cubes in it and it was much better after that.)

Tuesday was my 2nd lesson with my French tutor, Vilmarie and we decided to have it at the bar lounge at Brasserie 8 1/2, beneath the "bell-bottom" building on 57th St. I actually wanted to go there to try their Grilled Cheese Foie Gras, but unfortunately, they no longer had it on the menu.

(In addition to "Blue Ribbon Blog," I think I could just as easily rename this blog, "Foie Gras Finder.")

Vilmarie and I instead ordered some Table Shares, 3 for $25. (You're not going to order the Mac & Cheese, are you?... Good--me neither!) Vilmarie ordered the Asparagus Fries and Pulled Pork Sandwiches while I opted for the Tuna Tartare Tacos.

The asparagus fries were basically vegetable tempura with soy dressing on the side and the sandwiches, with pickled bok choy and coleslaw, were o.k. (although Vilmarie said they were cold). The tacos (while presented nicely, in a long dish and topped with green caviar) did not please my palate as much as they pleased my eyes...

But overall, at $25 for the three dishes, not bad. A quiet, elegant and cozy atmosphere, but not too stuffy. And the cocktails and wines by the glass list was nicely-priced as well (mostly $12 and $10). In addition to the button-tufted leather sofas and arm chairs, is a long marble-countered bar with comfortable looking swivel, backed stools and a friendly bar staff.

A nice place for a quiet drink with a friend, I'd say. > >

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey cyndo - I think this'd be a pretty safe place for you... carpet only and soft stairs!

Vilmarie said...

no mention of the addictive cheese sticks? We munched on that nonstop for over an hour!

Unknown said...

I forgot, haha!! (They made it into the picture though..)