"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

>jalapeño daiquiris, phylloxera + house-sets>>

So, I am sick. It started yesterday morning with a sore throat and being a little nose-runny and sneezy, but I am feeling a little bit better today thanks to a really long night's sleep.

Yesterday, while I was at work with another one of my favorite co-workers, we more or less spent the afternoon looking at menus online (must go to Blue Ribbon Bakery!) and trying to figure out where to go for happy hour. I didn't want to veer too far away from the N/R train which I needed to go to class, so pretty much the only options for us were, Bar 89, Lure or Woo Lae Oak.

Now although Lure's dollar oysters (from 5-7 on weekdays) are pretty tempting, I tend to like their non-happy hour menu items better; so we scratched that. And Bar 89--well... I just didn't want to go there. So that left us with Woo Lae Oak.

I only recently started going there because the bar area at Lure tends to fill up pretty quickly during happy hour. You pretty much have to get there right at 5 to secure a seat for yourself, otherwise it's standing room only. Hence, Woo Lae Oak became the usual place for my after work/before class cocktail.

I actually like it there. It's quiet. I'm sometimes the only one there the entire time and the bartender makes a better white chocolate martini than they do at Lure. Anyway, I went there with Cynthia and had two of their Jalapeño Daiquiris.

Really, I was thinking I shouldn't drink at all since I was feeling a little under the weather, but I thought that maybe a little alcohol would kill any throat-lingering germs and bacteria I had hangin' out down there and that the spiciness of the jalapeño would clear up my congestion.

Anyway, even with my intention of only having one, one daiquiri turned into two. --Bad Cynthia! After that, I had to hop into a cab which got me to class with just enough time to grab some bread and cheese to try to soak up some of the daiquiris before class began...

Anyway, lesson five last night was Wines of California. (Insert whomp whomp sound here.) I didn't really have any favorites, but I did learn a tad bit about Phylloxera, Prohibition and the Paris Wine Tasting of 1974. (And that there's a movie about it called Bottle Shock.)

The only wine I will mention is an Oregon Pinot Gris - Willamette Valley / Benton Lane 2008. Nicer (it smells older) than your typical Pinot Grigio (which I don't care for anyway), but strictly as an aperitif. And at $14, why not?

And I almost forgot: For Christmas I got a navy Perry Ellis pajama set from my sister and a grey Cherokee wool sweater from my mom. (She actually got every male in the family the same exact sweater--except David got a navy one, which I switched out with him for my grey one.)

Since I was feeling a little under the weather last night, I slipped on my (now matching) Perry Ellis flannel pajama bottoms with my navy Cherokee sweater and I christened the duo as my winter house-set. David said that I made that term up and I did. But clearly that's what it is: a set that you wear in the house; a house-set!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I do say, those pajamas as a house set are very becoming! I apologize for my bad influence when opting for the second round of drinks...But in all fairness, when I downed the remainder of your beverage after you left for wine class, it didn't strike me as particularly spicy. More jalapeno was needed to kill your lingering germies. So there!

kimchi said...

your posts made me laugh out loud...and if you want ed's grey cherokee sweater in a size large, you can have it. mom really must think he is thin...