"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

italy

So last night we studied Italian wines. Which I must say, I didn't care for (at least none of the ones we tasted last night). I guess there were maybe one or two that were not so bad.

We tasted a nice Valpolicella Superiore. It'd go nicely with simple foods, a Margherita pizza perhaps. It might be a good bottle just to have around the house for everyday dining. And when it comes to simple foods, that we have a lot of in my house....

But the one wine that I liked most of all from last night was the Brunello di Montalcino. It reminded me of the Salentein which I've yet to find (actually, I did find it online when I was shopping for my partner's holiday gifts, but I would not have gotten it in time to give it to him before he went home to visit his family), but to me, it was a "lighter version"--similar in taste, but with a lighter weight and less pack in its punch.

But overall, I'm definitely a heavyweight fan when it comes to wines!

To have a thick, heavy, juicy/flavor-packed wine to roll around on your tongue just seems so much more interesting that a light, fruity or "elegant" wine. But that's just where I am right now. I'm sure that over time, I will start to appreciate lighter wines as well.

But as for right now, I could totally picture myself enjoying a glass or two of the Valpolicella with a simply prepared chicken dish. And at a mere $14 a bottle, it's not a bad place to start.

No comments: