"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sauce Gribiche

I don't remember what had led to it, but this afternoon I found myself searching online for a recipe for gribiche dressing. One of the first ones I came across was from the memoir by Judith Jones (publisher of Mastering The Art of French Cooking), The Tenth Muse: My Life in Food (it's already on my Amazon wish list).




Sauce Gribiche

Time: 5 minutes
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon capers
2 cornichons, finely chopped
1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • In a bowl, mix all ingredients except parsley. 
  • Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. 
  • When ready to serve, mix in parsley. Serve with cold meat like leftover leg of lamb or roast chicken; also good on roast vegetables like carrots and turnips, or good-quality cold cuts like rare roast beef or turkey breast.
Yield: About ¾ cup


But first, some perfectly boiled eggs à la Julia.

follow these instructions to a T and you'll never have overcooked "HB" eggs

































This (second) time around, I kept my eye diligently on the clock, ensuring I followed all of Julia's precise instructions--precisely! I 'd like to think Julia would have been pleased with the results. As the eggs were cooking, I started prep work for the sauce gribiche. Earlier today, I'd gone to pick up a jar of cornichons, a jar of capers and some eggs. The rest of the ingredients, I'd already had at home. Perhaps the most laborious part of the entire recipe was the chopping of the parsley; but by now, I've nearly become a "pro." In the end, this is how my sauce gribiche looked:

sans the parsley which is to be added "when ready to serve"

Since I would not be using all of the gribiche at once (I'd actually doubled the recipe), I kept the chopped parsley in a separate container. Along with the last of the tuna tartine salad (topped with salmon roe) from the night before, I topped freshly toasted crostini with the gribiche, followed by a sprinkling of chopped parsley.

sauce gribiche served as a main

Now I know: sauce gribiche is just that--a sauce. But I love (a good) gribiche so much that I turned it into a main (happily so). However, I do agree that it would be good atop cold meats. I'm imagining grilled chicken kebabs... My only remaining problem is will I be able to go through all of this gribiche on my own? In the case that I cannot, I posted on Facebook:


Patrick Bradley
2 hours ago

You'll have to come north to Inwood though.

No comments: