"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Friday, July 27, 2012

The French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook

how French women dun't get fat

































FOR the past several weeks, David's been playfully jabbing me about who will cook for me while he's away at Cornell. He is partially correct though. Whenever David goes out of town for any extended period of time, my at-home consumption consists mainly of: cheese, crackers and wine (plus a little chocolate, bien sûr). It wasn't until he brought home from the library a copy of Mireille Guiliano's The French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook that I realized just how concerned he was about my équilibre.

I JUST finished reading the entire book, cover to cover and not only did I enjoy reading all of the recipes (along with Mireille's between-chapter musings), but I've also come up with enough cooking ideas to keep me busy cooking into winter. Additionally, in the case that my long-unused cooking 'skills' prove successful: I've come up with a proposed menu for a brunch, at my place, with my nearest and dearest...

Peeking over my shoulder, David said, You're in way over your head! But according to this video, found on Mireille's website, these recipes are "all made in twenty minutes or less."



































And found in Mireille's 'between-chapter musings' are her always insightful tidbits on gastronomy, combined with well-being. (or équilibre, as Mireille puts it) I'd even learned from her a few new ones that I must say I was a bit surprised that I'd been wrong about all along!

For asparagus, artichokes, salads, and most cheeses, especially the pungent ones, skip Champagne, since its complex, elegant flavors will be overpowered. Stick to fresh goat cheese or light but not too creamy cheese types; my favorite Champagne and cheese pairing is with Parmesan (the fat and oiliness that makes it a good marriage). Slivers of Parmesan make for a simple hors d'oeuvre served with Champagne.
and
Popular perception to the contrary, Champagne is not the most dessert-friendly wine. What wines are? Mostly sweet wines, and a demi-sec Champagne works, but as with most sweet wines the sweetness alongside sweetness does not contrast or flatter either. ... Avoid chocolate with Champagne, since its strong and beguiling flavors destroy the taste and finesse of even an average bubbly...  I have never found chocolate or Champagne showing their best when served together.

But who's to say what's right or wrong when it comes to your own personal palate? "... personal preferences generally win in the end anyway." At least I can say Mireille defends my fondness for pizza with bubbly, and even steak! "A full-bodied rosé Champagne is Pinot Noir, after all."

No comments: