"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

An Heirloom Homecoming

David returned from Aspen last Thursday and I decided to welcome him home with dinner from The Plaza Food Hall and a bottle of Piper-Heidsieck brut champagne (from Heights Wine & Sprits).

watercress salad and champagne

The Piper was a nice brut--not too dry--and worth its $34 price tag. (with my "PX" discount) Saturday afternoon, I received a text from David which read: Heirloom tomatoes are in the house... we'll have a tomato supper! I decided to pick up some wine from Columbus Circle Wines & Spirits.

they even had a pre-chilled bottle

I went in looking for the Hesketh, "The Proposition," which we had tasted in my most recent wine class, and what I thought was going to be a shot in the dark ended in fruition. However, the Hesketh ($17) was not as tasty as I'd remembered--perhaps I'd not used my spittoon as much as I should have, in which "everything will taste good." (it was our sixth tasting)

nothing beats an heirloom!

The first course of our "tomato supper" consisted of a fresh (Italian) parsley and cream cheese spread and crisbread. Our main course was, simply, sliced heirloom tomatoes on rye bread with mayonnaise, and a dash of garlic powder and fleur de sel.

fresh, wild...

It was so wonderful to taste the goodness of the farmers' market! (ashamedly, it was the first time all summer that David or I had the opportunity to go--I don't know how we survived this long!) I asked David why, whenever I order heirloom tomatoes at a restaurant, they don't taste this good. He said it's because "they do too much stuff to them." He's probably right. You don't have to do much to fresh, in season produce to make it taste good.

strawberries and Sancerre

Next, on the menu was fresh, wild strawberries which we paired with a half bottle of Sancerre ($13) that I also picked up at Columbus Circle Wines & Spirits. I'd meant for the wine to pair with our tomatoes (which I'd allowed the wineseller select for me--a rarity), but David, when asked, wanted to begin with a sparkler.

not the most favorite wine we'd ever ended dinner with

Unfortunately, the Sancerre (even being an A. O. C.) was not enjoyed by neither David nor I. Either, 1. it was not a good pair with the sweet berries/a poor follow up for the sweet Hesketh or 2. the wine was just off--exposed to heat, perhaps. (also, it was mis en bouteille à la propriété, not mis en bouteille au château) Perhaps, this should be a lesson learned to not put my complete faith in a wineseller's suggestion (I'd barely even glanced at the label). But at least the strawberries, which we'd dipped one by one in confectioner's sugar, were quite tasty...

juicy!

I can't wait to see what else David will cook up this week with his farmers' market spoils!

No comments: