"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

ABC K-i-t-c-h-e-n

Since Adam Platt, recently, more or less named ABC Kitchen the city's best restaurant right now, (highly recommending diver scallops and salted caramel ice cream sundae) I decided to give them another try (I'd gone once before to try the clam pizza, but wasn't all that impressed).

Scrolling down the dinner menu, the first dish to catch my interest was the chicken liver toast ($9).

chicken liver toast at ABC kitchen

The smallish toast, cut into four pieces was deliciously tasty! I also ordered two special dishes they were serving that night: sweetbreads, over fusili and date pizza. Even though I had ordered both the chicken liver toast and the sweetbreads (served hot) as my appetizers, kindly, the sweetbreads were brought out after I'd finished my toast. The second appetizer was also absolutely delicious, served with cheese and Chinese broccoli. Next was the date pizza. Large enough, I was able to share it with my dining partner and it, too, was quite pleasing on the palate. Finally, following Mr. Platt's recommendation, I ordered the sundae with salted caramel ice cream, candied peanuts & popcorn, whipped cream and chocolate sauce. Sadly, the sundae was less than I'd expected. But nonetheless, none of it went to waste.

Overall, I did enjoy ABC Kitchen and must say that the star dish of the evening was, surely, the simple chicken liver toast.

ABC Kitchen, 35 East 18th Street, Flat Iron

2 comments:

Unknown said...

pity about the sundae - I LOVE salted caramel. Reminds me of my dear departed Nan and her ancient sweetie jar.

Unknown said...

Mainly, I didn't care for the popcorn; and the chocolate sauce was a bit too sweet for my taste...