A new trick I picked up this year, inspired by Fruitcake: Heirloom Recipes and Memories of Truman Capote and Cousin Sook:
Ingredients1 store-bought fruitcakeBrandy (unflavored)
- Remove the fruitcake from its outer packaging, leaving its baking liner in place.
- With a long, thin piercing tool (such as a skewer) poke several long, diagonal holes throughout the fruitcake in intersecting directions.
- Place the fruitcake in a covered, glass casserole dish (or other suitable container) and carefully pour 1-2 tablespoons of brandy over the entire top of the cake.
- 'Move the fruitcake around' to evenly distribute the brandy throughout the cake.
- Place the covered casserole in the refrigerator.
- Every other day, "water" the fruitcake with 1 tablespoon brandy, remembering to 'move the cake around.'
- For each slice eaten (always slice when cold to prevent breaking), dress the exposed side with 1 teaspoon brandy.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.