"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Monday, April 26, 2010

>WHAT I'VE LEARNED THIS PAST WEEK>>

It's been a busy 2 weeks and I haven't had a chance to sit down and write a blog... I guess I also haven't had any truly exciting culinary experiences to blog about either (although I did go to Motorino last week and it wasn't that bad).

I did learn though that the cough which I've had for nearly 3 months now is from allergies; I was convinced I had become allergic to my job because I only coughed when I was at work, but it must have been because the maître d's podium is right below an open and dusty stairwell...

In addition to the previous tidbits of wisdom I've picked up along the way are a few more that I've recently discovered. Here they are, in order of happenstance:

>$50 for 2 pizzas and 1 cup of wine at Motorino was not really worth it

>The Slipper Room can be fun and so was Home Sweet Home

>Campari & Ginger is as good a drink as I'd remembered

>I can make a pretty good rehearsal dinner seating chart

>I like collard greens more than I'd realized

>Park Slope is further than I'd realized

>I really, really like cucumber sandwiches

>The Blue Ribbon in Brooklyn is really, really big

>Union Hall (in Park Slope) has bocce ball lanes

>Corn dogs and champagne... pair just fine

>I should smoke cigars instead of cigarettes since I don't inhale them anyway


Hopefully, I'll pick up some more nuggets of wisdom this week as well; I'm planning for another French lesson with Vilmarie and tonight I'm back to wine class with: The Great Rieslings of the World! Then, break again until June 1st when Advanced Wine Essentials begins, for 4 weeks, and then just 2 more elective classes until I am certificated!

I'm also pondering taking the Culinary Management course the school offers, in the fall. [Restaurant Management]'ll be my backup plan until I publish my collection of short stories--and make it big.

Until then, I've decided to study for at least a year by reading Truman Capote's La Côte Basque 50 times, to start.

(Why am I always setting such impractical reading goals for myself?) > >

3 comments:

kimchee5 said...

"I should smoke cigars instead of cigarettes since I don't inhale them anyway"

!!! the horror!!! don't smoke at all! and pee-you to the cigar smoke. cough cough cough :)

kimchee5 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Oh, I only smoke once in a blue moon anyway, and only in the summer... ;))