"[A] fantastic blog... which ranges from opinions on food and wine to daily adventures in a culinary-related profession."

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

>The NEW Spice on 8th & 22nd>>

Last night, I finally had a chance to check out the new Spice which recently opened on 8th Avenue & 22nd Street in Chelsea. I was really glad it opened because the bar scene in Chelsea (along 8th Avenue) was beginning to get pretty grim. I mean really, there was nowhere nice to just sit and have a nice cocktail over a chat with a friend. Chelsea, which not only used to be the gay mecca of Manhattan but also a pretty decent destination for just going out with friends, has been on a steady decline for years now. David had it on the nose when he said the death of Chelsea came when Big Cup closed, which is right, but I think the final nail in the coffin came when Food Bar closed. (Who really believed those "Closed For Renovations" signs?)

Nevertheless, my gay roots remain in Chelsea and I'll probably venture there for years to come in search of the perfect martini regardless of the comings and goings of its various venues...

Enter, the new Spice. Okay: So Spice has been in Chelsea for a number of years and it's been about that long since its initial flair has worn thin. But the original Spice [in Chelsea] is on the West side of 8th Avenue and the new Spice is on the East. Now, argue with me if you will, but the East side of 8th Avenue is just a hipper place to hang (unless you're making a pit stop at the American Apparel at 19th Street to take care of an unexpected wardrobe malfunction).

So not only is the new Spice on the hipper side of 8th Avenue, but it 1. replaced that God-awful Chinese takeaway that's been there for God only knows how long and 2. it's just around the corner from Barracuda. --So it's like you're still in that hipper-than-g-lounge-vicinity, but you don't have to actually go into Barracuda and breathe that funky bar-air which it's seemed to develop over the years... (Can someone please tell the bartender that that incense he's burning isn't helping?)

So despite the cold and the rain and despite the 40 minute subway ride from uptown, I headed downtown on the 1 train to meet Danny for a drink.

Upon entering Spice, the pleasant hostess offered to take my umbrella and tag it with my name while I eyed out a comfortable bar stool. I must say that I was impressed. This Spice had a completely different decor and design from the Spice on the West side of 8th.

As you enter, the bar sits on your right, large enough to handle more than just those patrons waiting for a table. And directly opposite the bar, to your left, are 2 lush-looking teal leather couches and 2 white porcelain tables which could very easily double as ottomans.

Surrounding the bar are stools capped in soft black leather, tacked with nails and reaching below, are several bag hooks. Behind the well stocked bar is a tiling of gold-marbled mirrors which match the golden birds hovering above your head on a ceiling impressed with clouds. Throughout the restaurant is the same matte teal of the couches which I found to be rather soothing. Overall, the atmosphere feels soft and dim and slightly hotel bar/lounge-ish, circa 1950 (think Shun Lee on 65th).

For the fare: I have to say the prices are knockout--a bottle of Malbec for $24 and a serving of Summer Rolls for $4 (plus complimentary cashews). But the taste, not so much. If you already know Spice's menu, just order what you already know you like (I thought I was, but apparently my memory didn't serve me). Next time I'll get the Warm Duck Lettuce Wraps--quite tasty and large enough to serve as a light meal. > >

Add'l Notes: Spice's star dish is the Tamarind Whole Fish - $18

No comments: